Almost everyone has heard of spring cleaning, but fall cleaning is equally important (cue laundry room organization, leaf raking and rooftop dryer vent cleaning). In fact, you should conduct a seasonal cleaning routine in your Dallas-Fort Worth area home at least twice per year. This effort refreshes your home and prepares it for the coming months.
But what cleaning should you do in the fall? Below, we explore important duties to include on your fall cleaning list. This list includes everything from your rooftop dryer vents and chimney, down to your laundry room and everything in between.
Exterior Fall Cleaning Tips
You need to start your fall cleaning outdoors before temperatures drop too low. Small animals like mice, rats and squirrels like to find winter shelters early, such as in your ground-level or rooftop dryer vents.
Some of the most important exterior fall cleaning duties include:
- Dryer vent cleaning and checking dryer vent screens
- Chimney sweeping and placing a chimney cap
- Gutter cleaning and screening gutters as needed
- General rooftop debris removal
- Checking roof shingles for signs of wear
You should also clear away clutter from your sidewalks, driveway and footpaths. Prepare your landscaping for harsh temperatures and rake away all of the leaves. Power wash your windows, exterior hard surfaces and patio furniture. Store outdoor furnishings to protect them from wintertime water damage.
Fall Cleaning for Your Kitchen
Particularly in colder weather, the kitchen is the heart of your DFW home. It is usually the first room people go into after school or work, during mealtimes and when you want to enjoy some socialization as temperatures drop.
Fall cleaning in the kitchen looks much like your spring to-do list. You need to clean your appliances, clear counters and wipe them down, scrub your sink and clean the floors.
Bathroom Cleaning for Fall
You should perform major cleaning in your bathroom for the fall, but continue smaller cleaning chores regularly throughout the year.
Fall cleaning in the bathroom should include:
- Clearing off counters
- Wiping down shower or enclosed bath walls
- Cleaning the tub, shower, toilet and sink
- Refreshing towels
- Sweeping and mopping floors
- Dusting walls and the ceiling to remove cobwebs
- Cleaning light fixtures and the ceiling vent or fan
Living Room Cleaning for Fall
Fall cleaning in the living room should focus on removing allergens, clearing away dust and debris, and decluttering the space. You will spend a great deal of time in this room during a chilly Dallas area winter, so you need clean air to breathe and space to relax. Some of the most important fall cleaning duties for the living room include:
- Remove clutter
- Clean carpets, rugs and curtains
- Dust walls and the ceiling to remove cobwebs
- Vacuum or professionally clean the upholstery
- Clean beneath furniture
- Clean and prepare the fireplace
- Sweep and mop hard floors
- Clean light fixtures or ceiling fans
- Clean television screens and other electronic devices
Bedroom Cleaning for Fall
As in the living room, much of your bedroom cleaning should focus on removal of dust, debris, clutter and allergens these typically promote. In the months when we spend so much time indoors, allergens and dust can cause breathing problems, increased sensitivity to colds, allergic reactions and headaches.
Fall cleaning for the bedroom should include:
- Carpet, curtain and upholstered furniture cleaning
- Dusting walls and ceiling
- Cleaning air vents
- Cleaning light fixtures and ceiling fans
- Removal of clutter
- Laundering duvets, comforters, quilts and pillows
- Dusting electronics
- Cleaning beneath furniture
- Sweeping and mopping hard floors
Laundry Room Fall Cleaning
Never underestimate the importance of seasonally cleaning your laundry room. Many household fires in the Dallas-Fort Worth area start in this space, particularly from built-up dryer lint and other debris. When you have your dryer vent cleaning company clean the ground-level dryer vent or rooftop dryer vent (and check the dryer vent screen outside too), ask them to check your laundry room indoors, too. They can inspect the dryer position at the wall and reduce your fire risk in other ways.
Besides rooftop dryer vent cleaning for fall, you need to perform some other chores in this space. These duties include:
- Sweeping dryer lint and other debris from the floors and beneath appliances
- Decluttering the laundry room
- Placing hanging clothes and piled laundry in proper rooms
- Properly storing cleaning solutions and other household products
- Wiping down the inside and exterior of appliances
- Mopping hard floors
- Dusting walls and ceiling to remove excess dryer lint and cobwebs
- Cleaning light fixtures and air vents
For dryer vent cleaning, dryer vent screen repair and laundry area safety inspection as part of your fall cleaning, call Superior Dryer Vent Cleaning in Plano, Texas at (214) 494-9740.